Happy to be Nappy?
Good morning GlobalMusic4 Life fans. Are you like me and happy to be nappy? Ok is nappy politically incorrect? Kinky makes me sound like something else…
How about this? I am happy to be natural. Ok for the most part, on most days. Today was officially cold. So let’s talk about how to love your hair. Wait, this is for folks with naturally straight hair too! It is not about curly, super curly, or straight or something in between. It is about health. Your state of health shows up in your hair. Yes there are genetics, medicines, environment, and illnesses that affect your fabulous tresses. There are some tried and true things you can do to help your hair be more beautiful. I am working on mine but 30 years of the “creamy crack” – sodium and calcium hydroxide based relaxers. I do not believe in “no lye “ is better, they both very basic and do the same thing. I have a degree in Biology with a minor in chemistry, so I did not swallow that marketing pill. I just like having straight hair.
I did not do the big chop. I did more of a medium chop. I want the option of a small poofy pigtail. However, that is the low growth area, dang it! So 7 months later, my hair is much better. Let me give you some tips on what helped me and others of my ilk.
The issue is hair and body health.
Things that help with hair health.
- Body health
Sorry a healthier you equals healthier hair and nails and skin as well. If you have to take meds that affect your hair so be it but exercise, a good sweat, keeping the skin and scalp clean helps!
- Biotin and gelatin : Are said to help as nutritional supplements, I like them I see a little change but it takes months. They do not clash with much which is a good thing for folks on medications Some folks say vitamin is helpful as well
- Goodies for natural hair ( or dry naturally straight hair as well) Petroleum based stuff clogs your pores and hair follicles. You want moisture and something to hold the moisture in.
- Jojoba and tea tree oil holds in moisture and nourishes
- Coconut oil to oil the scalp, it soaks in really well, coconut milk and aloe vera cool and soothe the scalp and add moisture without oil ( great for oily straight hair too)
- Peppermint and lavender oil, nourish and add a nice scent. It is said coconut oil and lavender have antimicrobial properties, I am not sure how that helps but hey, kill the skin cooties and let the hair be healthier sounds like a good idea
- Other nutrients can be used with water, in a oil like olive, coconut, or almond oil… these include Rosemary ( yes that rosemary), Burdock ( stimulates the roots), Saw Palmetto, and Stinging Nettle. Look for these on the contents of the more natural hair care products, And just a cue, ingredients are listed in order of weight by volume so if they are listed number 13 behind a bunch of chemicals and fragrance, there is not enough – that is my opinion.
- Wide tooth, rounded tooth combs; detangle first then you can use the tiny spaced comb, do not scrap up your scalp!
- Water and cleanliness: Wash with super gentle shampoo and conditioner every other day. Let your hair dry naturally when possible. Save the heat for when you have to go into the cold. For dry hair, a little oil on the scalp while it is wet is nice but don’t oil until it is “greasy”. That will just clog the scalp and hair follicles and hinder growth.
- Every once in a while switch shampoo and conditioners, to avoid product buildup
- Use a gentle brush to smooth. Rake it across your skin, if it hurts your arm, it will hurt your scalp.
- Massage the scalp with your finger tips, helps with blood circulation and feels good
- Chemicals should be used sparingly, ok I cover my greys – don’t judge me! However extensive chemical treatments dry the hair, cause breakage, and stunts growth. Get a lovely conditioning and hot oil treatment ( peppermint, lavender, and coconut are tingly together!)
- Limit the tight braids, especially around the delicate front, limit the lace front wigs ( google Naomi Campbell hair line) , and please limit the extensions, sew ins, and glue ins. That stuff rips at your natural hair!
Any other ideas? Let me know! I am at MsMelissa@melissaweblog.com
Currently, my sponsor, GlobalMusic4 Life Inc., is having a crowdfunding campaign on Fundly.com. Our goal is to reach 1 million dollars. That is a huge goal. We are feeling quite big! However our job is big. The goal is to pay off expenses and put give away 200,000 copies of Dr. Kiki Hurt, M.D. ‘s book Save Your Own Life: Mini Medical School. How the body works; When to seek medical attention. GlobalMusic4 Life is a 501(3)c non profit so donations are tax deductible. Dawn M. Joseph co-authored the book and put in great pictures and tables with an easy to read layout. We are currently selling it on Amazon, itunes, and google play as well as the GlobalMusic4 Life website. Sells are not brisk, it’s not a book about freaky sex like 50 shades, or about a fantasy world like Harry Potter (both great books, I loved HP, JKR is my hero) but it is a great book.
“Save Your Own Life” contains basic information you should know about the human body, hospitals, medical specialties, and more. In the back there are tables where you can type in important medical data. You have space to type in current and past doctors, surgeries, allergies, cardiac device information, and much more. The book is listed as 24.99 on Amazon and googleplay ( to cover the money they charge to sell them) and 8.99 on itunes and www.globalmusic4life.com The proceeds will benefit GlobalMusic4 Life Inc. The softbacks will be available soon. However for instant gratification, the .pdf, iBook, and android app version are available for immediate download. I did this and just printed out the tables and wrote the info on them. That way any new doctor or health care practitioner has instant access to my information. I also typed in information on my ipad and android tablets ( You know I love tech)
See the links below. I even have a video with me showing the publisher’s copy of the book. Check out the links and if you have questions, contact me at MelissaMitchell@globalmusic4life.com
Love and Light,
My fundly: https://fundly.com/melissaweblog-new-book#
GlobalMusic4 Life crowdfunding fund raiser
Me showing Save Your Own Life.. on Youtube
For the pdf to your pc: (cheapest cost, buy it here and just donate the extra for a tax deduction)
For Amazon ( Android)
For Google Play (Android)
For itunes ( iBook)
Want to just donate? Paypal = GlobalMusic1@aol.com
Or for my fundraiser:Paypal = Funwoman1@aol.com